Greenfield Hill Cemetery
"This old burying ground, located on Bronson Road, contains the graves of approximately 1000 of Fairfield’s earliest inhabitants. Among those buried are more Revolutionary War soldiers than in any other cemetery in the country -103, three soldiers of the French and Indian Wars, 25 graves of soldiers of the War of 1812-1814, and six from the Civil War. The northwest corner of the cemetery was first used by the native Indians and simple field stones marked their burials. Also buried here is Dr. Isaac Bronson, who planted the first dogwoods on Greenfield Hill and his wife, Anna Olcott."
"Over the years, until the Greenfield Hill Village Improvement Society got involved, the cemetery, like so many other old burying grounds across the country, was neglected and full of toppled gravestones and overgrown weeds. The first reference we find to work done by the Society is in 1921 when they “cleaned it up".
From: Maintaining the Rural Character of Greenfield Hill by John W. Field
The latest efforts at restoring the grounds were initiated in 2007 by Melanie Marks. Mrs. Marks serves as a Director on the GHVIS Board and as Chairperson of the GHVIS Cemetery Committee. Since 2007 neighbors, GHVIS members, town officials and volunteers with the Connecticut Gravestone Network gather at least once a year to continue with the maintenance, restoration and preservation of the burying ground. The next clean-up day is scheduled for Saturday, April 23, 2011 from 10am to 3pm..